Skip to main content

The Garden in Mid Summer

Bright blossoms are greeting me these days.
Bee Balm

Liatrus and Phlox

Clematis

Day Lily



There are still garden tasks that occupy a part of each day.  I try to pull a few weeds on a regular basis.  This time of year, it does seem that the need for dead-heading increases as well. 


I look at these balloon flowers.  I like their purple presence in my garden.  But it does not take long for them to abandon the job I assign to them--beautifying there designated space.  They quickly--and they are certainly not alone in this mid-summer season by any means--take up their selfish thrust to produce seed and ensure reproduction, taking on their own agenda entirely.  When I pinch them back, they keep on blooming, but they do need reminding who is in charge with each pinch.

They kind of remind me of the politicians we elect, believing their promises of a brighter future for all.  All too soon, they are off on propagating a political future and forgetting those who made it all possible in the first place. Ha! I could lop their heads off!  Is there a lesson here?



Now these Johnny Jump-ups are volunteers.  Someone planted them over twenty years ago along the front sidewalk.  Here, they have migrated their way into the back yard.  They wander where they may, but they are cheery and otherwise harmless.  They have turned themselves into weeds, but I do not have the ruthless fervor to eradicate them that, say, dandelions engender.  Still, some of them can stay and some of them just have to go.  They will come back.  Talk about politicians.
Then there is the crabgrass.  Oh, it is late July and early August, the season of crabgrass.  What an annoyingly opportunistic pest!  I want to believe that there is some kind of intelligent design at work in nature, but then the crabgrass starts popping up and I am no longer so much a believer.

Sure, I could look at myself as a heartless colonial master banishing native plants I consider inferior in order to make room for the desirable plants of my own choosing.  But I'm not going there right now.

Comments

  1. I am so impressed and envious of all your color. I had to chose between watering veggies or flowers and the veggies won.
    Dead heading in Congress might be fun.
    Arkansas Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son has that beautiful purple clematis growing at the end of his porch. Daylilies are always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga, your analogy is brilliant. Comparing your balloon flowers to politicians is the best description I have heard of what is going on in Washington from anyone in days. I think we need to have a gardener go to Washington and take charge!

    And, I also think you are right about the Johnny Jump-ups. I always wonder where mine will end up also. They too seem to be like politicians, just as you said. They move on to what ever territory suits them best even if it is not where you planted them and expected them to grow. Or, as you said, they were planted by someone else and now you deal with them.

    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love your flowers! My all time favorites are the day lily (or tiger lily as I like to call them. the wild Queen Anne's lace. hibiscus. and black eyed susans! Thanks for sharing your flowers with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely and it seems you are weeks behind our hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many of the same flowers blooming right now in CO. The Bee Balm (mine is purple) wants to take over the side garden. I've been pulling it out, but it just sneaks back in another place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.