Skip to main content



The icicles are dripping slowly outside the window as I sit here.  My cat would have been riveted.  He could sit at the window and watch the drip...drip...drip all afternoon.  He loved Christmas, too.  The tree went up and he was ensconced under it for the duration of the season.  We still miss that cat.
We do not plan on putting up a tree this year, or on doing anything else in the way of decorating, for that matter.  The ceiling and wall painting will not be completed until a couple of days before Christmas Day so it would not be worth the work involved to decorate and then take things down three or four days later.  Usually, I like decorating so I am not giving it up forever, but things are definitely scaled back this year.  I will have our family get together, but other than the pierogis already in the freezer and two pies, everything else will be store bought.  The kids will be kind of disappointed not to see a tree at Grandma's house, but I will make a point of going to see theirs.
I made a mistake today.  I had to pick up a prescription so I decided I would do a couple of other errands.  I needed to pick up the prescription, but everything else really could have waited until next week.  I have time to go out during the week.  It seems that everyone else in the entire world has only Saturdays to be out and about.  The traffic was congested and the stores were all packed, lines everywhere.  I didn't mind that so much as the slush all over the roads and parking lots.  Everything I did involved openning and closing car doors and so I was pretty well covered with slush and road salt myself.  I should have worn my working in the yard clothes, not my going shopping clothes.
Snow is so pretty until you have the up close and personal encounters with it.  The romance dies pretty quickly.

Comments

  1. I agree snow is beautiful from a distance when it's fresh, but it's a real mess and very ugly in the slush stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily in my rural, semi-southern area, slush is not a problem, in fact, snow is seldom a problem---darn it. Think I stopped too soon in my move North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you must miss your decorations, but next Christmas will be here in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have made pierogis, really, what else do you need?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it's time for a new cat? Slush is not as bad as ice. I hate it when cars and people slide all over the place with nasty results. Slush is messy but not painful. Your icicles look pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.