Monday, July 12, 2010

The Sun Smiles Down


A woman from Milton, Vermont took this picture over the weekend and it was published in the Burlington Free Press. It's amazing that someone would actually have a camera at the ready for an opportunity like this.
A sudden and completely uncharacteristic burst of energy hit me this morning. By ten a.m., I had my two cups of coffee, finished the crossword and sudoku puzzles, washed up the breakfast mugs and coffee pot, taken a walk and pruned two lilac bushes. It is supposed to get up into the 90's again today--it's been about seven years since we've had a nice hot summer like this here--so I won't feel the least bit guilty about sitting with my book and a pitcher of lemonade this afternoon.
I've been experimenting with drying herbs from my garden. I put some mint and some Greek oregano in the microwave. It dried them out fine. Time will tell if the flavor lasts through this process, but the kitchen smells nice.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I do not share your love of hot summer days. Texas cured me of that. I can still feel the heat from the sun on my skin. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me how long you put the herbs in the microwave for - I may want to dry some mint and basil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga- how long does it take in the microwave? Somewhere I remember hearing 25 seconds. Is that right? I have been meaning to do that also!Thanks for the reminder! As for me--- I prefer the winter! Hot is too hot!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.